Let There Be Light!

Sunday, February 17th 2013

Finally we have had some sun! It has been so horrendously grey. I must have forgotten to 'lamp' for a few days before the dull spell, and consequently then spent three or four mornings last week wanting to p*ke my guts out and sleep in the afternoons. Spare the predictable jibes about 'morning sickness' and afternoons 'behind drawn curtains': Seasonal Affective Disorder, (as it's now known)... is not at all funny. Why am I telling you this? Because I've nothing to say of ornithological note. So... Let There Be Birds, as well.

I spent the best part of this morning photographing Herring Gulls over our house (again), checking out every conceivable setting on the Canon 7D in a bid to find the very best combination for the shots I want to take. After formerly ridiculing the very idea of using a modern camera in a way that it doesn't autofocus when you press the shutter, I've come to the conclusion that 'back focus', as some call it, is indeed the way to go. I'm not a fan of Mr Art Morris's particular style of bird photography, but he describes the technique as well as anyone; so click here to read all about it.

Jon and I went to Radipole this afternoon. Here's some of the Shoveler we saw. I think I must be going just a little bit barmy - because I found myself looking for blue-headed males I recall of the New Zealand species when I was checking out these shots earlier today. Maybe the sun really has got to me after all!


Shoveler - Radipole Lake - February 17th 2013


No comments: